Kotoko face a tough test away against Dreams FC at the Dawu Park on Sunday.
And, as is usual when Kotoko come to town, ticket prices have been jacked up because, well, it's Kotoko – and they are a top draw. The Porcupine are targeting back-to-back wins for the first time this season after a couple of inconsistent outings.
In six games Kotoko have won just three and have a negligible goal difference as they sit fourth on the Ghana Premier League table. Goal scoring has particularly been a problem for Paa Kwesi Fabin’s side, with the club recording just five goals in the opening six league games.
Also, aside midweek’s 2-1 win over Ebusua Dwarfs, the Porcupine Warriors are yet to score more than two goals in a single match this season. It is a return that will delight their Dawu-based opponents, who enjoy scoring at home.
Dreams made a perfect start to the season after amassing seven points out of the opening three games. However, a downturn in form which has culminated in no wins from their last five games has seen them drop out of the top four.
But the ‘Still Believe’ side is yet to lose a home game this season, and that highlights the kind of task Kotoko will be up against.
For two sides that have huge hopes for the season, it remains to be seen which of them will take home the bragging rights and, more importantly, the three points.
Kotoko captain Felix Annan has already laid down the gauntlet ahead of the game by urging his teammates to forget about midweek’s win over Dwarfs and turn focus towards the clash in Dawu.
Meanwhile, Dreams FC boss Karim Zito has described this weekend’s game against Kotoko as “special” but adds that their aim is to get the three points.
“Beating Kotoko will motivate us more than they beating us. Another specialty about the game is that we pledge to make our Theatre of Dreams a lion’s den for other clubs and we will do everything possible to gain the three points from Kotoko,” he told Dreams TV.
As to whether the Porcupine Warriors will be also to walk through the lion’s den unscathed, only Sunday will tell.
Head To Head
Total league meetings = 2
Dreams FC wins = 0
Drawn matches = 0
Asante Kotoko SC wins = 2
- Dreams FC have managed only two victories in their last ten fixtures in the premier league. (W2 D3 L5)
- Asante Kotoko SC have recorded just two defeats in their last six premier league matches. (W3 D1 L2)
- Dreams FC have been losers only twice in their last fourteen home matches in the premier league. (W7 D5 L2)
- Asante Kotoko SC have only one point from their last eight premier league matches when they are visitors. (W0 D1 L7)
- This is the second time in the history of the premiership Dreams FC will be hosting Asante Kotoko SC at the Dawu park.
- Asante Kotoko SC were 1-0 victors in their first and only visit to Dreams FC in the premier league.
- Dreams FC have managed to keep clean sheets in all of their three home fixtures in the premier league this season.
- Asante Kotoko SC have conceded in each of their last eight away matches in the premier league.
Today's other fixtures
Dwarfs home game against Liberty will be televised on StarTimes.
Share this story
Leave a comment
What others are reading 18 Perish in 2 separate motor accidents Mahama ministers received double ex gratia too – Gary Nimako GPL Preview: Dreams FC v Kotoko – stats and form Bedbugs invade Ashanti SHSs; NADMO begins fumigation